Here’s an overview of the election promises from the Labor Government:
- Introduce euthanasia legislation for the terminally ill.
- Works for Queensland - $600 million promise - program to support regional councils undertake maintenance and minor infrastructure projects which creates jobs.
- M1 upgrade between Daisy Hill and Logan to slash travel times for motorists.
- No new taxes
- Second M1 - the 16km stage one of the Coomera Connector – otherwise known as the ‘Second M1’ – which stretches between Nerang and Coomera.
- Establish seven new "mini-hospitals" in south-east Queensland where patients can go for chemotherapy, mental health services etc.
- Deliver a budget by the end of November.
- Provide a $1 billion pipeline of train work in Queensland, including 20 new trains.
- Pursue a 50 per cent renewable energy target by 2030.
- Provide an extra $74 million for the tourism sector.
- Upgrade TAFEs across Queensland.
- Provide free tampons and pads at 120 state schools.
- Enact $140 million strategy to lift competitiveness and resilience for small business.
- Provide $600 million in funding for council projects.
- Create an inland route from Charters Towers to the NSW border to take trucks off the Bruce Highway.
- Provide $40 million for Great Barrier Reef projects.
We’ll cover a few of these in more depth in the next few articles.